Illinois Court Home Page > Access to Justice > Resources for Self-Represented Litigants


Resources for Self-Represented Litigants


For Legal Information

For free legal information and legal aid referrals, please visit Illinois Legal Aid Online.

For information about civil appeals, please see the Guide for Appeals to the Illinois Appellate Court for Self-Represented Litigants.

For more information about Illinois laws and legal procedure, please see the Illinois Compiled Statutes and the Illinois Supreme Court Rules.

For Illinois court forms and instructions, please visit the Illinois Supreme Court Standardized Forms.


For Case Information

For information about a pending court case, please contact your local Circuit Court Clerk.


For Attorney Referral Information

For help finding an attorney, please contact the Chicago Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (in Chicago) or the Illinois State Bar Association LawyerFinder (outside Chicago). 

If you are looking for an attorney outside of Illinois, please visit the American Bar Association Lawyer Referral Directory.  


For Free or Low Cost Legal Advice

In Chicago and Cook County, please call CARPLS at (312) 738-9200 for free or low-cost legal advice and referral information. Please note that you may have to wait for up to 20 minutes to speak with an attorney.  For $25 you can schedule an appointment. Please visit the website for more information. 

In Chicago and Cook County, the Justice Entrepreneurs Project and the Chicago Legal Clinic may also offer reduced cost legal representation in certain areas of law. 

In Northern Illinois (outside of Cook County), please contact your local Prairie State Legal Services office.

In Southern Illinois, please contact Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation's Legal Advice and Referral Center at (618) 394-7300 or toll free at (877) 342-7891.


For E-filing Information

For a general overview of e-filing, please review this flyer. The flyer is also available in Spanish
For information about how to successfully e-file in Odyssey, please review these step-by-step e-filing guides on how to:


There are also videos showing some steps to e-file.

The court knows that some people are not able to e-file. You may be excused from e-filing for a variety of reasons under Illinois Supreme Court Rule 9 including if you:

  • 1) do not have internet or computer access at home 
  • 2) have a disability that keeps you from e-filing,
  • 3) have trouble reading or speaking in English, or
  • 4) are filing an order of protection or civil no contact/stalking order. To file paper documents instead of e-filing, fill out a Certification for Exemption From E-Filing and file it with your other papers.



Contact Details

Danielle Hirsch, Assistant Director, Civil Justice Division 
312-793-2014 (phone)
312-793-0740 (fax)

Jill E. Roberts, Self-Represented Litigant Services Specialist  
312.793.2305 (phone)
312-793-0740 (fax)